The following cases, most officially reported, are examples of the types of cases in which we serve as legal counsel.
- Commercial Lawsuits: Protecting Business and Property Rights
- R&S Distribution, Inc. v. Hartge Smith Nonwovens, LLC, 2010 Ohio 3992 (1st Dist.)
This lawsuit centered on ownership and rights to possession of a large industrial machine. At trial, David and Bill Blessing successfully defended their client on all claims asserted, and they prosecuted Hartge Smith Nonwovens’ counterclaim through bench trial to a verdict of $1.4 million plus attorney fees. The verdict was affirmed on appeal.
- Fifth Third Bank v. Proffitt, Case No. CV 2008 01 0205 (Butler County Court of Common Pleas)
On behalf of an elderly physician, Angie Wallace and Bill Blessing sought to recover his assets by asserting claims that his property had been wrongfully taken by the defendants. The jury trial in this case resulted in a verdict in favor of the physician of $1 million plus attorney fees.
- City of Cincinnati v. Gilbert, Case No. A1006196 (Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas)
Angie Wallace and Bill Blessing successfully tried this case to a jury, resulting in a judgment of $332,000 for a temporary “taking” of the Gilberts’ home by stream pollution. The verdict was affirmed on appeal.
- Flick v. Stansell and Kovack Securities, FINRA Arbitration No. 07003128
David Blessing was successful in recovering damages against a broker and investment firm involving claims of improper transactions.
- Saturday Knight LTD v. Lafkas, Case No. A 0804963 (Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas)
Bill Blessing served as counsel for SKL in successfully defending claims for approximately $10 million in damages. A three-week jury trial in this case culminated with a verdict wholly in favor of SKL. That verdict was affirmed on appeal by Ohio’s First District Court of Appeals.
- Koehler v. PepsiAmericas, Inc., 268 Fed. Appx. 396 (6th Cir. 2008)
Bill Blessing successfully represented this United States Army Reserve serviceman on claims that his employer violated the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, a law protecting the rights of uniformed service members. Trial of this lawsuit led to a verdict in favor of Mr. Koehler, that verdict later upheld by the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Kreller Group, Inc. v. WFS Financial, Inc., 155 Ohio App. 3d 14 (1st Dist. 2003)
Bill Blessing represented the plaintiff in this commercial claim involving compensation for consulting services. The case was tried to jury verdict, resulting in a $616,000 verdict, upheld on appeal.
- Consumer Protection
- Williams v. Aetna Finance Co., 83 Ohio St. 3d 464 (1998)
We represented this consumer plaintiff, a lifelong resident of the Lincoln Heights community, in successfully protecting her home. This conspiracy case was tried to a jury, which returned a verdict of $1.5 million plus attorney fees for Mrs. Williams. The verdict was upheld after numerous appeals to the court of appeals, the Ohio Supreme Court, and the United States Supreme Court. The Ohio Supreme Court’s opinion in this case serves as a landmark on Ohio conspiracy law.
- Neibel v. Trans World Assurance Co., 108 F.2d 1123 (9th Cir. 1997)
Bill Blessing was lead counsel for 31 plaintiffs in a two-month federal RICO jury trial in San Francisco. The jury’s verdict led to a $1.6 million verdict plus attorney fees, and that judgment was affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Davis v. Mutual Life Ins. Co. of N.Y., 6 F.3d 367 (6th Cir. 1993)
Bill Blessing served as lead counsel in prosecuting civil RICO and fraud claims on behalf of 29 plaintiffs. A jury trial of this case resulted in a $3.6 million dollar judgment plus attorney fees, and that judgment was upheld on appeal to the Sixth Circuit.
- ERISA Disability Insurance Claims
- Rist v. Hartford Life & Accident Ins. Co., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 141235 (S.D. Ohio)
We successfully represented this insurance policy beneficiary in recovering disability insurance benefits unlawfully terminated by his employer’s insurance company as well as recovering the client’s attorney fees.
- Neiheisel v. AK Steel Corp., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5907 (S.D. Ohio)
This disability benefit claim in federal court in Cincinnati involved disability benefits terminated by the employer. We were successful in recovering those benefits plus attorney fees in this ERISA claim.
- Heffernan v. UNUM Life Ins. Co. of Am., 101 Fed. Appx. 99 (6th Cir. 2004)
We represented this disabled claimant in securing disability insurance benefits which were denied by her employer’s insurance carrier, UNUM. The federal district court judgment restoring those benefits was affirmed by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Monks v. LTD Benefits Plan for Certain Hourly Employees of Champion International Corp. #703, Case No. 1:08CV752 (S.D. Ohio)
David Blessing served as claimant’s attorney in the ERISA benefits recovery proceeding.
- Trust, Probate Lawsuits, and Will Contests
- Little Sisters of the Poor v. Vogelpohl, Case No. 2005002070 (Hamilton County Probate Court)
Bill Blessing was successful in this jury trial in securing a verdict upholding the provisions of a challenged will.
- Wood v. U.S. Bank, N.A., 2005 Ohio 2341 (Ohio Supreme Court)
Bill Blessing represented the plaintiff in this Uniform Prudent Investor Act litigation in the trial court and before the Court of Appeals for the First Appellate District of Ohio.
- Professional Negligence
- Engineering Malpractice:
- Benjamin’s Inc. v. Vamosi, Case No. A 8504504 (Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas)
This engineering malpractice case tried to a jury, which found in favor of our client and returned a verdict awarding Benjamin’s its damages.
- Hospital Malpractice:
- Gallimore v. CCHMC, Case No. A 8507465 (Hamilton County Common Pleas)
Bill Blessing prosecuted this medical malpractice claim on behalf of a deafened child, resulting in jury verdict. We were successful in protecting that verdict in response to appeals to the First District Court of Appeals and Ohio Supreme Court.
- Legal Malpractice:
- Moore v. Coleman, Case No. A0708611 (Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas)
We successfully represented our client, an attorney, in defending against legal malpractice claims. A three-week jury trial of the case resulted in complete vindication of the defendant through a jury verdict wholly in his favor.
- Legal Malpractice:
- Estate of Virginia Escher v. Backsman, Case No. A1100298 (Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas)
The Blessing Law Firm prosecuted this legal malpractice action and effected a settlement for benefit of the client Estate.
- Class Actions
- Traylor v. Avnet, Inc., 257 F.R.D. 521 (D. Ariz. 2009)
Moody v. The Turner Corp., 1:07cv692 (S.D. Ohio)
Bill Blessing served as class counsel in these ERISA class claims which resulted in approved settlements of $34 million and $14.5 million, respectively.
- Bryk v. Hurd, 2:96cv494 (S.D. Ohio)
We served as lead counsel in resolving this class recovery of $5 million, arising out of the Dublin Securities investment operation.
- In re Dun & Bradstreet Credit Services Customer Litigation, 130 F.R.D 366 (S.D. Ohio 1990)
This firm was lead counsel for this commercial class action involving a $19 million settlement for Dun & Bradstreet customers.